OTGW into the Unknown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skills/Resources?

2 posters

Go down

Skills/Resources? Empty Skills/Resources?

Post by Michi Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:24 am

How do they work in this system? For example, are new skills made by repeated actions? Do we need to create basic skills for our characters before playing, or will they get them in roleplay? Same for items/resources...
Also, how exactly can my wealth bonus affect gameplay? Does it mean I can buy a weapon or a magic artifact?

Michi

Character sheet
Character Name: Felix
Current H / S / W: 4 / 5 / 5

Back to top Go down

Skills/Resources? Empty Re: Skills/Resources?

Post by Admin Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:00 am

I'll be putting skill-points on the character sheet, and write up a list of skills for you to pick out. You do purchase skills at the beginning, and as you rise, but it is a low-skill game. It's not like D&D's 30 odd skills and 20 skill points to distribute every level. More like 15 points to start, and one or two more points after a complete "episode".

Items and resources, and that wealth bonus, are more a question of what you're capable of than exactly what you have. A description of your income and your standard of living. Even if you're just picking things up as you travel the Unknown, that's an income of sorts. I think the Unknown would be mostly a Barter system, but it's not about paying 30 GP or trading your axe and two flint, it's about answering the question "can I afford this". I'll be putting descriptions to various traits like "Wealth" and "Allies" in the rules section, like I just did for the basic attributes.

Example :
Player : Hey, you know my character is ok at melee fighting, and I want to have expertise with a spear when I get some experience points, but I want something better than this pointy stick.
DM : Alright, your resources show Wealth 2, so you could probably get an actual spear from the traveling merchant. But if you want something that's actually better... say am oak and iron boar-spear that does an extra damage die?... then that's gonna stretch your funds.
Player : I want something actually better, not just decoration. Can I haggle with him?
DM : To see if you can get it cheap enough, the roll will be your Guile - 2 dice - plus... do you have a good skill for haggling?
Player : I could Intimidate the merchant, but that might be bad. I have Fast-Talk, for 1.
DM : So you're gonna swindle him. Beat him at his own game? Alright. Three dice, and you need two successes to get the spear cheap enough that it doesn't leave you broke.
Player : ...*rolling*... I only got 1 success.
DM : Alright, the merchant is standing his ground. You can spend a point of Willpower to make the roll again, but Fast-Talk isn't going work for round two. The moment has passed, and he's seen through you. You could spend a point of Wealth, just buy the expensive spear anyway. That leaves you at 1 Wealth for the remainder of this chapter. Or you could try something else.
Player : I needed every point of Willpower I had in the last chapter, and it wouldn't work anyway. I'm not sure I want to go broke buying a spear. Maybe I can convince someone to enchant my stick, or I could get someone to steal it for me...

Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Character Name: The Ancient of Fate
Current H / S / W: 4 / 4 / 7

https://otgwwod88.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:42 am

Dice Test !!!

Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:42 am

The member 'Admin' has done the following action : Roll the dice

'd10' :
Skills/Resources? D10die10
Result : 8, 6, 3, 2, 6, 3, 8

Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Skills/Resources? Empty Dice test?

Post by Admin Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:04 am

Well, that's awful, but at least it works.

Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down